As we enter the last week of the CWC, I modify my post written just before the WC start on the consequences of 2 possible scenarios at the WC
What if India wins “That Match” & later the Cup ??
1. It will be the last World cup appearance of the master
2. The master will be awarded the most coveted award in the country–Bharat Ratna
3. Going to South Mumbai on 3rd April will take atleast thrice the normal time..there will be extraordinary traffic jam thanks to the victorious team’s victory parade.
4. All recent scams, wikileaks, news on corruption ,etc will be forgotten by the media..After all where is the time to talk of things which happen on a daily basis in the country
5. UPA government will claim World Cup victory as one of its own achievements..(Finally something to cheer about..)
6. No work will be done on Thursday 31st March & Monday 4th April, in any office..
7. Diwali will come much early for all restaurants, fire crackers manufacturing companies and others…
8.Newspapers dated 31st March & 3rd April will have only news pertaining only to the CWC victory
9. Team India will be treated as “The league of extra-ordinary gentlemen”
10. As mentioned by one of my friends, 1983 World Cup heroes wont appear again to talk about their experiences before any another world cup in the future.
What if India doesnot win the cup eventually ??
1. All chats at homes, office cafeterias, social networking sites will only have 1 point of discussion..Everyone will become a cricket expert and analyse the reasons for failure..
2. Everyone will give vent to his creativity on facebook, buzz, twitter through 1 liners & articles mocking the “Match Ka Mujrim” (Recall what happened to Nehra)…..A possible loss in “That Match” might turn ugly..
3. Aaj tak, India TV will have only have programs like ”Match ke mujrim kaun ?” to show throughout the day
4.Numerology & Astrology experts will come up with some combination of numbers and stars as a reason for India’s failure
5. News channels will quickly focus on the Great Indian reality show — IPL, due to start immediately after the CWC
No matter what happens at the last stages of the World Cup,the last 2 matches ( especially “That Match” ) will bring the entire nation to a standstill…Everyone will hope for 2 things from the master..A century of centuries & A Special Gift to his home crowd at Wankhede on 2nd April..
All the best India….!!!!!!!!!!!!
Out of 33 posts , this is my 9th post on cricket & learnings from it..Have realised that the game which is treated as a religion in the country can actually teach us a lot in our personal & professional lives..